Monday, October 17, 2011

Writing 12

We had an opportunity to read a number of prose poems and to write three of our own. Please post the best of your own prose poems on Edmodo by Wed. We're in the language lab Wed. I'll meet you there.

You need to create 2 short poems for the art class by Nov 1. These poems must be filled with imagery so that the artist can get inspired to create a painting. Your poem and the art will be on display at Eclectic Gallery in Oak Bay in Jan.

To ensure you are prepared for this deadline, write, write, write. Re-read the short poems on the handout I gave you and on Edmodo. I'd like to see what you have written early next week so I can give you feedback. Let me see two short poems by Tues. Oct. 25

If you are planning to submit the short ones for marks on day 1 (2 short poems = 1 for marks)

I'm in Van. Friday so  class is cancelled. I will give you your assignment on Wed.

However, since Friday is day 1, I'll collect your two poems on Tuesday. (Since you've had extra time, I suspect you'll make time to edit them and to check their attributes against the criteria for the course, right? What criteria, you may ask?

For now, concentrate on clarity and fresh language. Push your poems to show people in action. Add specific references to modern places, things, concepts, brand names, etc. and /or use research in your poems. Never sit and stare at a blank page. Have magazines, poetry books, picture books, music, and your writing journals around you to inspire your imagination. Play. Play. Play. Use the techniques we have been practicing during class.