Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wr 12-- How to Add Detail to a poem

Or beating the Monday night blues . . . .

We read our Sharon Olds' imitations (famous dead person poems) to a partner. You may want to type it up for Friday's workshop.

Next, we did a warm up under a title: Reasons For . . .

How to Add Detail: The dash and the double dash

Use the dash.  Follow the dash with a list or an anecdote or dialogue.

Ex. List: I hate my father--the white shoes, the gold tooth, the bald head.
Ex. Anecdote: I hate my father--the time at the Port Hope fall fair. He sat in the garden, stumbling over beer, daisies choked by the fence, butterflies.
Ex. Dialogue: I hate my father, "Come here, Sweetie."

Double Dash--after Jan Zwicky in her poem, "Transparence".
Get the notes from a partner.

Tonight: Go onto the site www.poetryfoundation.org and search under poems.
You will find they have over 10,000 poems organized by theme. Find a modern poem that you think is brilliant. Choose one thing from that poem that you can teach the class. Create a writing exercise for the class to do.

Bring the poem to class to read. You may print it out or have it on your phone or portable device.