Thursday, October 18, 2012

Wr 12: creating a conceit

A conceit is an unusual metaphor. Read John Donne's "A Valediction Forbidding Mourning" for one of literature's most famous conceits.

I read a poem to the class comparing infidelity to something in a garden.
Write a poem comparing two things and ensure that the comparison is unusual.
For those absent today, I have a handout to help with the task.

My dreams are
Japanese origami stars.

My childhood is Mozart.

My elbow is a small town in Derbyshire.

My mother is a mirage.

Once you choose the comparison, the poem writes itself because you simply search guidebooks, magazines, websites, plus your imagination for all the ideas related to stars, Mozart, Derbyshire or mirages in the above examples.

So, choose an item that you either know a lot about (rugby, piano, dancing, star gazing) or that you research (origami, basket weaving, drum building) etc.

Workshop on Monday and computer lab time.
Two poems due Tuesday.
Yvonne Blomer, Friday.