Monday, March 24, 2014

English 9: Introduction to the essay is due . . . .

IF YOU WERE ABSENT TODAY, YOU MUST CONTACT YOUR HOMEWORK BUDDY IMMINENTLY TO HEAR ALL ABOUT TODAY'S COMPELLING LESSON.

Submit your typed introduction based on all of the sentences you wrote during class today. Use the order below:

Hook
Thesis plus author and underline the title (no quotation marks for novels)
Sub-topic one's sentence
Sub-topic two's sentence
Sub-topic three's sentence
Repeat the thesis emotionally (It is outrageous that loneliness kills . . . or Without a doubt, teens need positive role models .... or John's metaphorical cage represents his repressed self-doubt; however . . . .)

DOUBLE SPACE, PUT YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME ON IT, AND TODAY'S DATE MARCH 24/14.

GREAT WORK TODAY.

Tomorrow: Writing the first body paragraph. Make sure you bring your quotation log to class each day. Have access to an electronic copy for easy cutting and pasting of quotations.

IF YOU HAVE BEEN ABSENT, SUBMIT YOUR QUOTATION LOG FOR MARKS. BRING TWO COPIES SO THAT YOU CAN USE A COPY WHILE I MARK THE OTHER ONE.

To help you edit and revise your introduction, read the example below and follow the checklist:


WRITING AN EFFECTIVE INTRODUCTION FOR A LITERARY ESSAY

Sample: Grade 9 The Pigman by Paul Zindel

A life-changing moment is not always a big one; sometimes, it can be as simple as one phone call. In the novel, The Pigman, by Paul Zindel, John pretends that he does not care about the world, but meeting Mr. Pignati makes him realize that there are good things in life and that he needs to accept them. The teen acts as though he does not care about anything, and hides behind his bitterness. His parents do not agree with their son's actions or his plans for his life, which causes John to lash out and seek refuge and comfort in a better relationship with Mr. Pignati. Realizing that the rest of the world worries about the wrong things, John begins to embrace the caring lifestyle of the Pigman. John’s transformation from an apathetic teen to a caring and thoughtful young man is a truly compelling story of the impact of kindness.

Analysis of an Introduction
  1. The purpose of the first sentence in an introduction is _________________________________________________________________.
  2. The second sentence is the _______________ and includes the __________ and the ___________________ which is in ______________________.
  3. The third sentence is telling the readers what is to come. In fact, this sentence summarizes the thesis of ______________________________________.
  4. The forth sentence also tells the reader what to expect in the essay. This sentence summarizes the thesis of ____________________________________.
  5. The fifth sentence tells the reader what to expect. This sentence summarizes the thesis of _____________________________________.
  6. The final sentence rewords the __________________________ (or second sentence) but does not change the meaning. It is often shorter and more ________________________________.
An introduction must also have style. What I notice about the style of this sample is ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Checklist for my introduction
  1. _____ The first sentence catches the reader’s attention in an interesting way.
  2. _____ My thesis answers the question so what? It is my opinion. I can prove it with my research. It is thought-provoking and makes my reader think.
  3. _____ I have summarized each body paragraph in three separate sentences.
  4. _____ My verb choice stuns, enlivens and delights. I avoid is, does, makes etc.
  5. _____ My sentences are varied in length and in the way they begin.
  6. _____ My vocabulary is formal and appropriate. No contractions. All verbs are in the present tense.
  7. _____ I repeat my thesis at the end in a simple and straightforward way that appeals to the reader’s emotions and makes him/her want to read on or argue with me. My thesis is provocative and debatable.
  8. _____ My introduction is brief and to the point. 75 to 125 words should do it.
  9. _____ I believe that I can prove this thesis. I am passionate about my topic.
  10. _____ I have something to say that a reader can’t just get by reading the novel.