Friday, March 28, 2014

ENGLISH 9: NEED HELP WRITING THE CONCLUSION?


WRITING AN EFFECTIVE CONCLUSION FOR A LITERARY PARAGRAPH

Sample: The Pigman by Paul Zindel

John’s artificial apathy about the world changes due to his chance meeting with Mr. Pignati, who demonstrates to the troubled youth that he must embrace the good things in life. Before John meets the old man, he habitually hides his true self behind indifference. His parents’ influence and lack of acceptance have pushed John to rebel in order to escape criticism; luckily, he seeks the company of Mr. Pignati to teach him the truth: that John is important and loveable. Mr. Pignati helps John Conlan to discover the true meaning of life and to get rid of the contempt that John harbours. The teen’s journey of emotional maturity from a discouraged adolescent to an enlightened young man is greatly helped along by the teachings and actions of the Pigman. Through several acts of kindness, one lonely elder rescues a disturbed delinquent. All it takes to help someone else is to learn to be yourself.

Analysis of a conclusion

  1. The first sentence’s purpose is _______________________________________

  1. The second sentence summarizes _________________________________________________________________
  2. The third sentence summarizes _________________________________________________________________
  3. The fourth sentence summarizes _________________________________________________________________
  4. The last sentence repeats the thesis but with __________________________________________________________________
  5. The style of a conclusion is important because __________________________________________________________________


Checklist for my Conclusion (Hand in with your conclusion)

  1. _____ The first sentence repeats the thesis shortly and sweetly. Refer back to your introduction. Make sure that you have indeed proven this thesis in your body paragraphs what you say here. DO NOT MENTION NEW IDEAS HERE.
  2. _____ The next three sentences summarize EACH body paragraph and re-emphasize how each body paragraph proved MY thesis.
  3. _____ The last sentence repeats the thesis but with an emotional appeal.
  4. _____ I have ensured that all my sentences are clear. I use clear sentences in the conclusion to help the reader remember my main points and to remind them why they should agree with me. I use enthusiasm and emotion here.
  5. _____ I do not add any new insights. A conclusion simply restates points already discussed. Before writing the conclusion, I re-read the essay to make sure that I have proven what I set out to prove.
  6. _____ I use synonyms.
  7. _____ I use the present tense of the verb. No contractions. Elevated diction.
  8. _____ I am confident that my essay did indeed prove what my conclusion says it did.
  9. ____ I am proud of my effort in this essay.

    SENTENCE 1: REPEAT THE THESIS WITHOUT AUTHOR OR TITLE
     SENTENCE 2: SUB-TOPIC 1 SUMMARY (SENTENCE 3 IN THE INTRO)
    SENTENCE 3: SUB-TOPIC 2
    SENTENCE 4: SUB-TOPIC 3
    SENTENCE 5: YOUR CHOICE: REPEAT THE THESIS OR RE-CONNECT TO THE HOOK