Monday, December 9, 2013

English 10: Superb work today!!

You really worked hard today. I mentioned that you need to focus on INSIGHT this time. I am going to assume you have mastered the essay format: intro, three body paragraphs, and the conclusion and that you have memorized your literary must-haves, that you are focusing on style (sentence variety, strong verbs, replacing repetitive words with synonyms, starting each sentence in a different way, using punctuation creatively, etc).

Insight: Is what I have to say exciting to me? Is what I have to say based on my close reading of the text or is what I am saying something I already know and I'm applying to the book? It must be the first option. Your opinions are based on research. Your quote log goes beyond the obvious, interprets the words, tone, symbols, and makes connections to other parts of the play.

Your essay makes me read the play now from your point of view.

I no longer see Romeo as a victim of circumstance because you have clearly proven that Romeo is a rash, love-struck teen who makes love as dangerous as hatred. WOW. I NEVER SAW THAT CONNECTION UNTIL I READ YOUR ESSAY.

That is what an essay is--from the French verb, to try: essayer.

Try out your ideas in the quote log. Make sure you can prove them. Make sure your writing is clear.

Voila!!

BRING AN EDITED COPY OF YOUR ESSAY (INCLUDING THE COVER PAGE) TO CLASS TOMORROW FOR PEER EDITING.

DUE FRIDAY, DEC. 13: Final copy, a peer-edited draft, a draft edited by you, a cover page and a quotation log.

WHO EVER SAID THAT WRITING AN ESSAY WAS HARD?

IT'S EASY IF YOU KNOW HOW.