Tuesday, December 10, 2013

English 12: How To Write an Introduction . . .

Students arrived with half of their quotation logs and we worked in complete silence until 3:00 and ALL quotation logs were finished.

If you have not completed your quotation log, you will BE lost over the next few days as we write our essays.

The quotation log is the foundation for your essay. It shows you what you think.


Due tomorrow: The Introduction: a GRADE 12, PASSIONATE, ILLUMINATING INTRODUCTION.

If you were absent today, I have several handouts for you.

ARRIVE TOMORROW WITH A TYPED INTRODUCTION THAT FOLLOWS THE CRITERIA BELOW.


WRITING AN EFFECTIVE INTRODUCTION FOR A LITERARY ESSAY

Sample:

“Inspiration came to him” (96). Small-bodied and gentle-natured, young Simon is the only one who understands but does not fear author William Golding’s message that mankind has a dark and evil nature, in the novel, Lord of the Flies. Simon does not give into “the beast”, or the inner wickedness that has manifested in the other boys and turned their island civilization into savagery. So it happens that Simon is killed upon his spiritual awakening, when the true meaning of the beast comes to him after his encounter with a talking pig’s head. Simon’s character is society’s prophet, bringing forth Golding’s philosophy on the dark side of human nature. Simon is flesh and blood just like any other human, but has a pure moral conscience that will not let evil take hold of his spirit. Simon’s strength is a symbol of hope for all mankind—if we can let that hope live.

Analysis of an Introduction
  1. The purpose of the first sentence in an introduction is _________________________________________________________________.
  2. The second sentence is the _______________ and includes the __________ and the ___________________ which is in ______________________.
  3. The third sentence is telling the readers what is to come. In fact, this sentence summarizes the thesis of ______________________________________.
  4. The forth sentence also tells the reader what to expect in the essay. This sentence summarizes the thesis of ____________________________________.
  5. The fifth sentence tells the reader what to expect. This sentence summarizes the thesis of _____________________________________.
  6. The final sentence rewords the __________________________ (or second sentence) but does not change the meaning. It is usually shorter and more ________________________________.
An introduction must also have style. What I notice about the style of this sample is ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Checklist for my introduction
  1. _____ The first sentence catches the reader’s attention in an interesting way.
  2. _____ My thesis answers the question so what? It is my opinion. I can prove it with my research. It is thought-provoking and makes my reader think.
  3. _____ I have summarized each body paragraph in three separate sentences.
  4. _____ My verb choice stuns, enlivens and delights. I avoid is, does, makes etc.
  5. _____ My sentences are varied in length and in the way they begin.
  6. _____ My vocabulary is formal and appropriate. No contractions. Present verb tense.
  7. _____ I repeat my thesis at the end in a simple and straightforward way that appeals to the reader’s emotions and makes them want to read on or argue with me. My thesis is provocative and debatable.
  8. _____ My introduction is brief and to the point. 75 to 125 words should do it.
  9. _____ I believe that I can prove this thesis. I am passionate about my topic.
  10. _____ I have something to say that a reader can’t just get by reading the novel.