Thursday, November 15, 2012

Writing 12: Finish the films . . . .

The reading in the library today was absolutely fantastic. Thanks to all our poets and to the wonderful M.C. Terra Taylor who kept the audience rapt!

Next reading is Wed. Nov. 21.

Last day in the MacLab is Friday so please ensure that all films are complete and uploaded to my youtube account: stensonclaremont321@gmail.com
Use the same password as the one in the lab.


Monday: We are in the computer lab. We will need the entire period to ensure that all your poems are distributed to the correct contests and magazines. Make any final changes to your poems this weekend and ensure that you have access to an electronic copy on Monday. You are welcome to bring hard copies for
The Claremont Review and The Claremont Review Contest as well as BCTELA.
By bringing hard copies, you will not have to wait at the printer.

REMEMBER: Do not put your name on the poems for any contest as they are always judged anonymously. I have a cover sheet which you will attach to the poems.

To submit to the Claremont Review, you need a cover letter. See below for a sample. You can create this letter in the lab, Monday, or prepare one at home and bring it to class. We have a lot to do Monday so the more prepared you can be, the better.

Tuesday, we start our fiction unit. We also need to set aside an evening of poetry readings where we can invite friends and family, share food and drink and toast your success!!

You should each have a collection of short stories now. Once you finish the film, begin reading the book. You need to finish the book in two weeks so prepare a reading schedule. You will have some time during each class to read as well.


Sample Cover Letter to a magazine

April 12, 2006

Leslie Campbell, Editor
Focus Magazine
PO Box 5310
Victoria, BC
V8R 6S4

John or Jane Student
2291 Summit Ave.
Victoria, BC
V8Y 1Y9
478-6709

Dear Leslie Campbell:

What I love about Focus Magazine is that I’m always surprised. Last month’s article about student Lindsay Borrows inspired me to send you a piece of my own.

It’s a short piece of 2,000 words entitled, “Hit and Ms.”, about my passion for kickboxing. Two things about the piece may surprise you. One, I’m really short for my age but with expert coaching and parents who don’t ever say the word, no, I never think of my height as an obstacle. Second, I’ve won every competition in my age group and now I’m working at the next category. My dream is to head to the World Games in 2007.

I don’t think my situation’s unique but hearing my story might give your readers the impetus to follow their dreams.

I look forward to your response and possible publication. I have enclosed a S.A.S.E. for your convenience.

Sincerely,



Jane or John Student

Bio: Jane or John Student has been published in the BCTELA student magazine, 2009. S/he is looking forward to more publications in the future. S/he likes to surf while thinking of new ideas for poems.