Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Writing 12: Edit those three poems thoroughly from your workshop group

I will be collecting the poems to check that you are using the criteria sheet to edit the poems.

The idea here is that you help the poem. This is not about the person.

One of the trickiest parts is So what?

It may be clear. It may use language well. It may have sound and line break and a fabulous title but at the end, why do we care? What made the writer write it?

If the writer doesn't know or doesn't care, the poem may not be working yet.

These are drafts. Ugly babies. Ways to explore our thoughts, the poetic form, etc.

It's not like an English course, I hope. It is not about THE MARKS.
It is about learning to say what is in your heart to say.

Start making observations of the people, ideas, sounds, sights, around you.

I just saw a Claremont young woman scissor step down the stairs at such a collosal rate, I'm sure she was on her way to the church to get married.

I thought, I wonder what she is thinking. Where she learned to scissor step. If she knew I was watching. What her name is. How cool that a teen still scissor-steps. How I will love to share this experience with you.

These are the things writers think of. I'm sorry to tell you that.

TWO POEMS DUE THURSDAY. Think about one thing you would like to try.