Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Writing 12: You impress the best . . .

Dear Susan: 

Thank you for sending the comments by students. Their feelings are reciprocated for I was moved by their collective passion and commitment to the art of writing. It is an art or at the very least it can strive to be so. The complexities and the simplicities of trying to arrange words on a page such that they can, for a brief moment, change themselves such that they feel the world again with clear eyes and ears, hands and feet, with a good heart, a clear voice. We have to get up from our restless beds and, through acceptance of who and what we are, reach past ourselves to a renewal, whether it be spiritual, psychological, or physical. If I can transcend my childhood blindness, my late-life, on-coming blindness, and find in all such struggles an awe and a joy that embraces the tragedies that beset me in this life. What we find ugly in ourselves is a gift, for surely we must know what beauty is to recognize its opposite. If I might pass on to your students a word or two I would ask them not to be afraid, to pay attention to the least things of this world, a pebble, a beetle, a butterfly, a cabbage growing fat in a garden, a child, a woman, a boy a man. Watch the world, listen close, and report back to us in your own voice, the sound and sense that is unlike all our voices and because it is will ring true as a startled bell in a garden, an owl's cry  so perfectly lonely in the night.
best
patrix


We have a guest speaker tomorrow. I forgot.
It will take most of the period so I will give you Thursday to work on your poems in the lab and you can hand them in on Friday.

PLEASE MEET IN ROOM 321 TOMORROW AND NOT IN THE LAB.
THANKS.