Thursday, November 17, 2011

Lit 12

Excellent Work! I love your passion for literature.

We re-read "The Passionate Shepherd To His Love" and took careful notes. If you were absent, be sure to borrow notes from a peer and make a copy. Next, we took notes on Sir Walter Raleigh and read his response to Marlowe: "The Nymph's Reply".

We returned to the historical note section of the text--The Jacobean Era, The Civil War, and The Protectorate and took notes.

Homework: Finish the notes on the Literature Section (4 pages) pages 145-148. Open note-book quiz, Monday.
TEST: TUESDAY, NOV. 22. BE PREPARED. You have made cards or notes for all the literary terms. Now, create notecards for the literature, author, title, themes, quotations and literary techniques such as form, tone, diction, as it is important to be prepared for future tests or exams.

We will have a sight poem on Tuesday's test. To prepare for the sight poem, study the literary must-haves. Read some of the ballads and sonnets in the text which are not on the core list and see if you can pick uout key images, shifts in tone, volta, or refrains etc. Create a TICK chart and a theme statement.In terms of improving your written expression, study the paragraphs you have written so far in the course (take home your portolios) and focus on one or two stylistic or organizational or insightful changes that you wish to make. By focussing on turning weaknesses into strengths, you are more able to actually monitor your progress.

Arrive with a goal for Tuesday's paragraph:

I.e: I want to ensure my thesis answers the question in an insightful way or I want to ensure that I use the best three pieces of evidence I can find and that I continually link the evidence to my thesis. I want to use stronger verbs so I'm replacing "is, seems, appears" with elucidates, exemplifies, emphasizes, depicts, portrays, reveals, elicits, demonstrates,  etc . . .